Thursday, March 27, 2014

Why lolita?

An interesting thing I've noticed about the way some people do lolita is that it's not just an escape into a prettier world, but actively rejecting the stark ugliness they see around them. They know they're not real princesses or dolls or vampires or whatever look they're going for, but they will cover up everything they can in their lives with something prettier if it doesn't measure up. Not that none of them enjoy any escapism of any kind (I suspect most people do), but lolita seems to be more about actually doing something about your surroundings--even if it only reaches as far out as your clothes, and only so often.

Or maybe this is just what I like about lolita and I'm projecting it onto other people who enjoy the style. At any rate, it's got me thinking about what it is about lolita that appeals to me and what kind of lolita substyles I actually enjoy wearing, and I'm finding that the approaches that make me happiest usually make me feel like some sort of aristocratic monster. Not an actual aristocrat with tons of money and a title, but something that looks like one. Something uncanny that doesn't age, or at least pretends they don't. Possibly something with sharp teeth. Monsters survive everything and do whatever the hell they feel like, and I suspect that's part of the appeal of dressing like one for me.

Tradgoth and punk elements hold a similar appeal while reflecting the actual context of my life better than lolita since punk is basically rejecting the standards of industrial society and it tends to look better if your clothes are ripped and worn. It's also just more practical on a daily basis of course (in terms of cost and ability to move/fit through tighter spaces.) But at the same time, the more practical, the less monster confidence boost I get from an outfit. Modern vampire characters like Zillah from Lost Souls seem like a good balance--he doesn't exactly run around dressed in frills, but he still finds ways to express himself in his appearance that remain practical enough for him while still being distinct and unsettling. (Are those of you who know who I'm talking about giggling hysterically at my treatment of Zillah as any kind of role model yet? XD)

Although personalizing one's surroundings can be really empowering, I find that it can also be a bit tiring for me because I will never be able to make everything perfect. Instead, I've started to try and selectively fit my surroundings into my style and blend the two. Which can also be frustratingly difficult, but it feels a little more do-able even if I haven't quite found the right balance yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment